TedQual is a certification system on a voluntary basis, which promotes the development of tourism education, training of qualified personnel and improvement of research programs in this area. To this end, UNWTO.TedQual formulated the main quality standards for tourism education. Primarily, UNWTO.TedQual considers five internal and external factors:
- coherence of the research plan;
- infrastructure and pedagogical support;
- policies, instruments and administrative management mechanisms;
- existence of a transparent mechanisms of selection of teachers and favorable conditions for their professional development;
- relevance of the content of training programs to the needs of the tourism sector.
Who may request for UNWTO.TedQual certification?
UNWTO.TedQual certification may be requested by any educational or scientific and research institution that operates at least on one permanent tourist program.
How to obtain a UNWTO.TedQual certificate?
Step 1: Request for information
Educational, scientific and research institutions which activities are related to tourism, interested in the confirmation of compliance of their programs with TedQual quality standards, send a written request to the email address of the UNWTO.Themis fund. Once the request is received, the fund will send information about the system of certification and a pre-registration form.
Step 2: Pre-registration
Any institution interested in the formal inclusion in the TedQual certification system sends a written request, enclosing a properly completed pre-registration form. Such a "long" procedure allows at an early stage to detect any possible contradictions between the two parties, the fact of which may adversely affect the decision of UNWTO.Themis after the certification procedure. The fund will examine the request and make a relevant decision within seven days.
Step 3. Registration fee
If the request is accepted, the requesting party will pay a registration fee, the amount of which will then be deducted from the total cost of certification. Then the UNWTO.Themis Fund appoints an independent expert from the audit team of UNWTO.TedQual, who will conduct an audit of the relevant scientific and educational institution.
Step 4. Audit
Having agreed all audit conditions, the institution transfers the necessary amount (minus the pre-registration fee), and the fund, in turn, sends to its address a detailed plan of the audit, as well as a description of one specific case from practice.
Upon receipt of all the information the institution has to decide whether to:
- act immediately;
- suspend the process for a maximum of 60 days, in order to better prepare for the audit;
- cancel the process before the start of the audit.
If the institution notifies UNWTO.Themis of cancellation of the audit at least three weeks before the fixed audit date the total amount paid will be refunded. The fund will deduct only 25% to cover administrative and banking costs.
Step 5. Certification
After the audit, an expert sends a report to the UNWTO.Themis fund, which, in turn, sends it to the TedQual Certification Committee to assess. A positive evaluation guarantees obtaining by the educational program of UNWTO.TedQual quality mark, in the case of a negative result - re-audit may be conducted within 6 months, and the cost will be twice lower than the original. Regardless of the result of the certification UNWTO.Themis will send a report with relevant recommendations.
What advantages does the UNWTO.TedQual certificate provide?
The unicity of the TedQual certificate is that it is the only international quality certificate issued by the UNWTO. This allows educational institutions that have successfully passed the audit, using UNWTO.TedQual logo on official letterheads, marketing materials and other documents, which entails the international popularization of the Institute and its programs. At the same time, the institute acts as one of the sectors of the integrated UNWTO.TedQual system and is included in the following programs:
UNWTO.TedQual Exchange Program involves
- internships for students and teachers in UNWTO.TedQual UNWTO.Themis and institutions;
- scholarships for the university course of "Tourism and International Cooperation for Development";
- participation in joint scientific and research projects;
- participation as an editor/author in UNWTO.TedQual publications (magazine, etc.);
- participate in the annual event UNWTO.TedQual Worldwide; support by UNWTO in organizational moments when holding conferences and other events with the participation of UNWTO.TedQual network members.
UNWTO.TedQual Mentoring Program
- joint implementation of projects to develop and improve educational programs in less developed countries.
As well as support by the UN member-states in all endeavors related to tourism education, and inclusion in the UNWTO database.
In November 2013, Turiba University successfully passed the audit. Professor George Abbelod performed as an appraiser-auditor. After the professor emphasized the conceived documentation, organization of the infrastructure, the special atmosphere of cohesion and understanding of students and teachers. As a result, the certificate of international accreditation was obtained by two programs developed at the Faculty of International Tourism, for a maximum period of four years:
- "Management of tourism and hotel industry enterprises" (for bachelors)
- "Strategic tourism management" (for tourists)
TedQual accreditation is needed by any university not only for prestige or commercial success. Availability of the TedQual certificate allows Turiba University entering the membership of the educational community, which includes the leading educational institutions specializing in the tourism industry.